Tom Joyner Calls Redskins Coach Slave Master

I get tired of writing about stupid, racist comments made by people of so-called fame or political importance. One would think in this day and age, individuals would know better. But my sensibilities are particularly offended when the mainstream media doesn’t apply the same standard of fingering wagging to blacks when they utter racial obscenities, as members of the press do when whites do.

Black Syndicated radio host Tom Joyner of the popular Tom Joyner Morning Show thinks Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan is a modern day slave owner. Yes, you heard me correctly. During Joyner’s January 7th broadcast, Joyner expressed displeasure at Shanahan for forcing Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III to continue to play with an injured knee in Sunday’s game against the Seahawks.

Laughing throughout the discussion with his sidekicks,  Joyner compared Shanahan to the Mississippi plantation owner Calvin Candy, who Leonardo DiCaprio plays in the movie Django Unchained, directed by Quentin Tarantino. “He’s as bad as the mean white man in Django,” declared Joyner. Mr. Candy is cold-hearted slave owner with a lust for Mandingo fighting, where slaves were forced to fight to the death like dogs or roosters used in animal fighting. “If you saw the movie, just like DiCaprio had the Mandingos fighting in the room. That’s what he did. That’s what he did to RG3,” said Joyner.

Let’s be crystal clear. What Joyner is saying is Shanahan looks at Robert Griffin III (also referred to as RG3) as nothing more than a piece of “black property” he owns and is willing to quite literally “play to his death.” Shanahan has white players. Are they slaves too? One of Joyner’s sidekicks on the program said Shanahan may as well have told RG3, “Keep fighting, negroes!” Joyner laughed and added that by putting RG3 back in the game after his knee injury, Shanahan was saying “you did a good job n–word (nigger).”

All I could think about when I heard the audio of Joyner’s comments is how INCENSED the media would be if an equally popular radio host Rush Limbaugh  said something similar  like “Wow, Robert Griffin III acted like Django the way he tore up that field.” I can assure you the mainstream liberal leaning press would have howled for an apology from Rush, demanded advertisers pull their support from Rush’s show and so on.

Joyner’s racist comments in and of them are bad enough but equally as stomach curdling is his erroneous story telling about what transpired during Sunday’s game. According to the Washington Post, team physicians didn’t bar Griffin from playing the Redskins Sunday’s game against the Seahawks, contrary to Joyner’s claim.

After injuring his knee Sunday, Griffin insisted he wanted to continue to play, team doctors okayed it so Shanahan put him back in the game, “I’m not going to take the chance on his career to win a game,” he said. But Joyner didn’t bother to mention these facts in his rant about Shanahan “the slave master.”

When I did an Internet search for Joyner’s comments, the only mention was a tweet by theRootDC. The lack of media outrage at Joyner’s disparaging remarks about Shanahan and MSNBC Political Commentator Toure’s Romney “niggerization of Obama” comments last year suggests because of slavery and civil rights injustices wrought against black Americans,  blacks get a bigotry pass.

I wonder what Tom Joyner would say if Mike Shanahan joked, “When Joyner told blacks they should re-elect Obama because he’s black, Joyner reminded me of Mr. Candie’s dutiful head slave Stephen in the movie Django.” Seems to me we, including the media, should apply the same standards of decency to all Americans regardless of race. What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander.

21 Responses to “Tom Joyner Calls Redskins Coach Slave Master”

1. DB says:

THank you for posting this! 100% agree that Tom Joyner is racist and his comments wouldn’t be tolerated if he weren’t black. I do not listen to his show anymore…they are ignorant and disgust me!

Well, that grilling interview on 60 Minutes certainly cleared any doubts I had about President Obama and Sec of State Clinton. I just had no inkling that the world was such a dangerous place.

They certainly answered my questions on what happened and relieved me to know that the person in charge was unaware of the safety concerns of her subordinates.

We should all thank 60 Minutes for such a hard hitting interview. I guess the guys who uncovered Watergate and exposed 9-11 have a triumphant heir!

3. JEFF TURNER says:

I am with Pam, I am also DONE with Jamie Foxx. When he was a recent guest host on Saturday Night Live he chose to comment, “What not to like about my recent movie, I get to kill white people”. They were not Foxx’s words, but he chose to deliver them on S&L. What a sad step backward. How does saying that help us move forward to a better place in our society? SAD.

4. jdf says:

The problem with Joyner’s statement is that it assumes that adult black men (who play professional football) are not intelligent enough to manage the own affairs or make decisions about their own lives. These players know what they are doing when they sign a contract. No excuses.

5. JEFF TURNER says:

CBC, very good and true observations.

I think it is clear that the TJMS is racist and totally pointed toward an audience of one race. There is no Diversity or desire for Diversity. Mr. Joyner only is interested in Diversity when it can help him. Otherwise he has no use for Diversity.

The thought that RG3 is a slave at the hands of a slavemaster is totally laughable. If a person of any other race had made similar comments, the media would have run them out of town, but it is fine with the media for Mr. Joyner to make his racist comment or for Mr. Foxx to make his racist comment about “killing all the white people”, very sad and a step backward.

6. Daren Bourns says:

Ms. Wright clearly has a case of the House Negro Syndrome or Safe Negro Syndrome. It has nothing to do with poor blacks calling one an uncle tom for wanting to be educated. It is not about being jealous of successful black people. It is about the fact that so many self proclaimed educated brothers and sisters who has never wanted for anything because of the hard work of their parents and grandparent. They lack an understanding what it is like to being forced to survive without the added privilege of money and connections.

A modern house negro actually believes all of the racist stereotypes that many racist whites to believe to be true. They have no experience with what it is like to have to struggle to begin with. On some level they are often more ashamed of their black brothers and sisters, because the fear of perception of their non black peers. They want to fit in and be apart and that poor black reminds them that they are still black. The poor black reminds the whites that they are struggling to impress that they are still black.

I have known a few of these people in my life that has made it clear that they want nothing to do with these people. They had more compassion and respect for a poor white than they did for a poor black.

I had a business and went through some very difficult time and these kind of black people would not give me a hand to save their lives. To give a compliment was like being asked to pull the skin of their back.

When I got to a place where I was successful these same people that wanted NOTHING to do with me were the first ones to call on me to support their endeavors and actually had the nerve to think that they were doing me a service by asking to join them.It gave me joy untold to turn them down.

7. Wes says:

It would seem that I have something in common with people here. Is it legal now to hold a US citizen without a speedy trial? I know the sixth amendment is supposed to protect us from that but nowadays certain people think that the constitution is old and outdated. That kinda thinking pisses me off.

@truevoice ultimately agreement, wow. that is why I am not a Republican. I think the Republican party should die, problem is any conservative group is going to get the nasty hangers-on that you despise and I don’t want to be associated with.

@truevoice I’ll admit I did not pursue the Tea Party as I found them hopelessly short sighted and easy to ridicule while proposing we all turn the clock back 100 years. I did not see any racism in meetings around Atlanta. I certainly cannot guarantee there is none.

If your comments above are from people who have actively interacted with the Tea Party, then there is more racism than I realized.

However, defending conservatism and self-reliance does not constitute racism. I also think a positive attitude on things helps a lot more than constantly harping on the faults of people. I strongly believe the liberals/progressives whatever are promoting a culture of dependence and “it ain’t my fault, you fix it.”

Interesting interacting with you as you seem willing to hear things, wish I knew a way to communicate outside of this blog.

@truevoice ever been to a Tea Party meeting? where do you get your facts?

I agree racists appear at the Tea Party stuff, but they show up many places where they are not wanted. I was once approached (1975) by the KKK (in hoods and very scarey! even though I am “white”). But that does not make me racist.

I think @Wes has some good points.

11. Wes says:

@Scott
    “Funny how we all talk about race when science basically says that is a bogus concept….”

When a minority tries to opress the masses, it is effective to create imaginary lines to divide us. As long as we continue to argue and debate over the “bogus” stuff, the real stuff keeps us in subjugation. The 99%ers and the tea party had a lot in common. Unfortunately, they never joined forces because of yet another “bogus” dividing line.

We have a budget problem. That is the truth. When one side declares that it is a spending problem, then the truth is shaded in one direction. Now when you start talking about cutting something, what’s gonna get cut is also shaded in one direction. We have to start talking about the truth before we try to come up with solutions.

12. Sigma5 says:

Mike Tomlin – Black coach. Big Ben Roethlisberger is his white quarterback. Ben has played with multiple injuries and a couple of career threatening. Why did he play with injuries? Because he is a football player! That is how it is. Any racism here?

Lovie Smith – Black Coach. Jay Cultler is his white quarterback. His knee was hurt in last years playoff game. He “CHOSE” not to go back in the game to protect his career. He was crucified by the media and his teammates.

The point is these guys risk their career on every play. RG3 should have been pulled. Mike Shannahan made a bad coaching decision. Why would he risk the kid that can keep him from getting fired one day?

@truevoice I think racism is empowered by people who see racism everywhere, even when it no longer exists. That said I do recognize it exists and actually seems worse on my trips to the North.

There is no way you “proved” Tea Party was racist. There were racists at the fringe and the media emphasized them. Most Tea Party people were anti-tax and anti big-government. I personally saw modest numbers of blacks and they were welcomed. the Tea Party movement was single issue focused, but they were orderly and tolerant.

I think racism will end when people argue the merits of various positions without reference to the color of the debaters. If I cite several cases of fuzzy thinking, it is not racist until I assign the fuzzy thinking to a race. We need to stop painting with such broad strokes.

@truevoice: do not know Pam. I just note that you do not present ideas or facts, but use emotional debate techniques, along with slurs. Are blacks not supposed to want self-sufficiency and independence?

To me Limbaugh is loud and over the top. He talks too much and occasionally puts his foot in his mouth. That can come out racist. He is easily ridiculed, but he also represents a group who believe all Americans would be better off without a nanny government. The suggestion is that blacks deserve the same opportunity to fail or succeed.

I do wonder at the wisdom of asking a potentially superstar player to play injured, but again that is not really the primary issue here.

To me if Joyner is part comedian that should be taken into account. I am not opposed to some stereotype humor. I am opposed to racist bigoted slanders and slurs. Unfortunately that line is very hard to decipher, so may best be not approached for a long time – until there is true color blindness. But then Dave Chappelle pinions whites unbelievably well along with some blacks and he great IMHO.

15. Craig says:

CBC,

The reason mainstream media doesn’t call out Black commentators, social figures, etc. for racist comments is simple. These commentators are viewed as harmless. It’s like a frustrated small child who lashes out with “You silly baby!”. You can’t help but laugh to yourself because they think they have cut you to the core.

The mainstream media lets that slide because they view the majority of Black people as powerless victims. Liberalism requires a victim to survive.

In contrast I never heard any flap about Michael Moore’s assertion in 2003 that if Black men had been on the 9/11 flights it wouldn’t have happened. In his opinion White people were cowards and Black dudes don’t take any disrespect. So there again, I’m being portrayed as the some street thug who would have pulled out my shank at 20,000 feet and handled the situation for the intellectual but feeble bodied White man.

Some how comments like that from Liberal White people are supposed to be a complement. Only in their backward minds.

@truevoice: once again ugly comments “shut the hell up” and change the subject – a different and terrible movie – not even a comparison of anything in them. And slurs at Limbaugh.

Racial tensions will probably never go away. Talking about them may help us deal with them. Your comment that Joyner was laughing is enlightening to me who did not see the skit or whatever it was.

You obviously don’t like CBC who seems to be coherent, to be looking for balance and to want to expose problems from many sides.

What is it you want and are for?

17. Pam says:

Let’s be clear – Tarantino made his movie to make a buck. This shows by the way he justified the violence in his movie after Sandy Hook. And Jamie Foxx standing up and saying,”At the end of the movie, I get to kill all the white people!” isn’t exactly something I would expect to come from someone who was interested in racial healing either. I’m done with Jamie Foxx, and I’m done with Tarantino.

18. Wes says:

@James
    I am something of a Tarantino fan. Your comment regarding Django helps me to understand what that movie is about and the Malcolm X link says it better than I ever could.

19. Wes says:

@CBC
    The “double standard” that you see could be related to the fact that there is a difference between bigotry and racism. Bigotry is bad when it comes from either side and Joyner gets no pass from me in that regard. However racism is something altogether different. Just because the smart people wish we live in a color blind society doesn’t mean that we must go through life pretending that this is so. Many people think because we have a black president now that blacks are treated with similar respect as whites. I want that to be true. I wish it was true. I realize when people like Joyner say something stupid, it doesn’t help things get better. However I can’t get on this board and act like I have no idea where Joyner is coming from simply because he is acting like he is part of the problem instead of part of the solution. Obama is half white and half black. However we, as a society, don’t really see him that way. Do we? I have no idea what Tarantino was trying to say with that movie Django, but I think he put it out there to try to heal society rather than divide us.

20. Jessica says:

Its people like him who keep race alive and make controversial comments that stir trouble. The only time race should be brought up is when something racist actually happens. I think people are beginning to not know what the word racism means in the African American community. Yes, he’s doing this to entertain but, in a negative way. As a Cowboys fan Tony Romo who is white had to play through his injuries just like any other quarterback in the NFL. Joyner uses RGIII as a victim of racism because of his race. What he he fails to understand all NFL players are have to play through their injuries. As a former high school athlete and African American woman. I had to play through my injuries just like my white counterparts. I think African Americans shouldn’t take Joyner seriously. This is the man who said he voted for Obama because he’s black publicly along with other black celebrities like Samuel L. Jackson

CBC , I am not surprised by your comments considering that you come from a long line of house Negro head slave Stephen types. Mr. Joyner is a DJ who is paid to entertain not more, if you had a life you would understand that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znQe9nUKzvQ