Being America’s First Black President Has Its Privileges

Apparently, being America’s first black President has its benefits. It means President Obama can cry racism (and get away with it) anytime Republicans criticize his policies or his past, specifically his past association with a racist pastor.  When the  New York Times  published a story last week about a GOP plan to run negative ads connecting Obama to Reverend Jeremiah Wright and his race baiting sermons, the Obama race machine pounced.

bama campaign manager Jim Messina called it “The blueprint for a hate-filled, divisive campaign of character assassination speaks for itself. It also reflects how far the party has drifted in four short years since John McCain rejected these very tactics.”  How is it hate-filled or racist to run ads revealing the truth about Obama’s 20 plus year relationship with Wright who gave race-baiting sermons? If anything running such ads would reveal a hate-filled side of Obama’s character. How could Obama allow a reverend like Wright to marry him and baptize his two children?

The moment the story ran, the mainstream news media, who is so in the tank for Obama no matter how bad a president he is, called the GOP strategy “hard line” and  “racist.”  And as predicted, Romney, billionaire Joe Ricketts and Karl Rove ran scared and repudiated the strategy. In 2008, Senator John McCain declined to produce similar ads for fear of being called a racist by the media. Obama and his team have put Republicans on notice that they will  inject race into the 2012 campaign at every turn.

Talk about a double standard. The Republicans should not have caved into Obama’s campaign of threats and intimidation. I bet all the white presidents before Obama would have liked to be able to pull the race card out of their back pockets at the drop of hat. I’m sure Bill Clinton really wished he could have used the excuse of being black to blame Republicans for trying to impeach him.

A turn coat Republican leaked the now derailed 54 page plan, to the New York Times. The plan, entitled The Defeat of Barack Hussein Obama: The Ricketts Plan to End His Spending for Good, outlined a strategy to run a series of ads linking Obama with Rev. Wright. Billionaire Joe Ricketts  planned to pour $10million into a pro Romney Super PAC to run ads reminding Americans of Obama’s long relationship with racist Reverend Jeremiah Wright.

What’s wrong with this strategy? Obama belonged to Wright’s Chicago church Trinity United Church of Christ. This is where Wright gave racists sermons. According to the book Game Change, Wright railed about the treatment of blacks: “The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes the three-strike law, and  then wants us to sing God Bless America. No, no, no! Not God bless America-Goddamn America!” In another sermon, he referred to America as the “US of KKK A,” (Game Change, p. 234).

After 9/11, Wright preached America brought this horrific act upon itself: “We bombed Hiroshima! We bombed Nagasaki! And we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye. We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back into our own front yards!,”(Game Change, p. 234).

Some Republican Super PAC should have the guts not only to run ads connecting the deep relationship Obama had with Rev. Wright but also include remarks from Obama’s 2008 race speech “A More Perfect Union.” The speech was a political gimmick Obama used to get the fawning media off his back when Rolling Stone first exposed his relationship with Wright.  But Obama refused to denounce Wright. He said “I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community.”

There is nothing racist about running a political ad which shows Obama never denounced his relationship with a race-baiter like Wright who preached America deserved 9/11. Since  2008, Obama and his team have always been the ones injecting race into his campaign and administration. While campaigning in Missouri in 2008, Obama accused McCain of trying to scare voters about him even though McCain vigorously defended Obama against attacks from some McCain supporters. Obama said: “So what they’re going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he’s not patriotic enough. He’s got a funny name. You know, he doesn’t look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He’s too risky,” (Game change, p. 331)

If Obama thinks it’s fair game to attack Romney’s record at the equity firm Bain Capital, then it’s fair game for Romney and Republicans to shine the light on Obama’s past. Being the first black president does not give Obama a free pass on being held accountable to the same standards of criticism as those who went before him. Voters deserve to hear the truth about Obama in 2012, not narratives spun of make believe.

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “Being America’s First Black President Has Its Privileges”

1. Shelton says:

I am white. I know I’m not racist because I would vote for a social and fiscal conservative black, white, green or whatever over a white liberal any day of the week! And actually as a Christian I see us all as a brotherhood of man anyway.

I believe the media/powers that be are dividing us up and situating us behind battle lines because if blacks and whites got together we would expose the real problems in this society and the power plays in this society would be unmasked. Pity we keep listening to the propaganda.

Keep on speaking the truth. We need you.

2. Mona says:

I wish everyone would quit calling him the first black president. He isn’t the first black. He is the first mulato president. End if story. Let’s start right now in telling the truth

3. David Ruffin says:

Obama is not black. I’m a republican but y would anyone who’s black vote for a Mormon. Of course fox news will never mention Jews and Asians voted for Obama 69 and 73% . Were they looking for gifts ? The truth is the republicans have been taken over by Koch brothers type. Ronald Regan wasn’t sold out by these vultures.

4. mike says:

I just heard you tell Brian Lamb that “55% of black males are in prison”. aren’t you embarassed to say something so stupid on national TV? btw, when folks use a large number like that, they mean something like “50% of have some contact with the criminal justice system at some point in their lives”.

5. Balladeer says:

Obama is the most bitterly divisive demagogue I’ve ever seen in action. This is a great piece about his repulsive hypocrisy on race. He’s African American when it’s politically expedient and “Post Racial” when THAT’S politically expedient.

6. Eric M says:

Ms Wright

I just saw you on Pierce Morgan and just wanted to tell you what a delight it was to watch you, not only hold your own, but Mitt-Slap your opposite, the liberal debater(sorry can’t remember her name). I am glad to know we (conservatives) have smart and eloquent ladies like yourself on our side. My hats off to you.

7. Ann Cain says:

Ms Wright,
    You’re a breathe of fresh air and I agree with your views on every pointe in this article. I’m a white, single, Independent woman who’s socially moderate but fiscally conservative who did not vote for Obama because of his ideology, values and lack of personal disclosure and vetting by the media. My instincts told me he has a great disdain for Americans, all colors, unless they will follow him without question. Your belief that Republicans should not have been frighten into cancelling their plan to delve back into his longstanding affiliation with Rev Wright whom he listened to denounce the United States of America on multiple occasions, was correct in my opinion. Your detractor’s replies show the deep division Obama has created this past 5 years and I find it very sad as a white women who loves my fellow man and woman, no matter their politics. Obama wasn’t vetted because the media is in collusion with him so i depend on people like you and other bloggers to speak the truth and report on stories we’ll never hear about otherwise. God Bless you, Crystal Wright.
    Ann Cain

8. Purhoney says:

It’s AMAZING how many times you mention the race card and race baiting in this opinion piece. What also amazes me is the blatant hipocrisy of the people who yell (via blogs) about Black people playing the race card without realizing (or maybe just ignoring the fact) that they are the ones who are emphasizing race. You are bringing up Rev. Wright again because he was one of the most controversal cards in your weak deck of cards. You have no actual fact that President Obama is the bad president you proclaim him to be so you have to play a race card to rile up support with his opponents and gain notoriety for your blog. That is so weak. Who is Romney’s pastor? What are his views? I would bet that if I was small enough of person, I could go through his/her sermons and pick out a few quotes to support a negative campaign against Romney, but I wouldn’t do that…because that would be small…and weak…and petty. Strong candidates debate the issues affecting the country, how it is run, and what they would do to improve it. Trying to use Rev. Wright to deflect from those issues is just small…and pathetic. I hope they pay you well.

9. d martin says:

The assocation of Obama and Rev Wright is as important today as the late Ronald Reagan”s assocation with far right and self proclaimed “messiah”, Rev Moon,,,,
    This was an attempt to stir up a storm by again visiting what was essentially “old” news…
    By the way Rev Wright need to be repudiated on many of the views he has on race and racism . He should help to close the gap of racism held by so many Americans..Its 2012 for goodness sake, when will it end…
    I am a black Canadian who is often ill at ease when visiting your country… is mine perfect?? by no means is it…but the extreme views , held nakedly, by so many is often breath-taking …
    Think back when we were one…(supposedly when God said “let there be light, and subsequently created “man in his image…NOT a Black man nor a white man, but MAN!!
    C’mon Man….

10. gfm says:

Using Wright to disparage the POTUS seems like too low of a hanging fruit to be brought back to life four years later. For one, hasn’t it been stated that when Obama ran for president, he was no longer a member of the church?

The reason the vast majority of people probably could care less about what Wright said is because they all know Wright lacks the power and means to do any of what he said. And then let’s not forget the subset of that group that don’t think Wright is anything more than a snake oil salesmen.

Ultimately, I could care less about Wright and anything he said. I’m sure there is someone out there (perhaps Herman Cain) that’s never been in a situation that would make them temporarily agree with Wright in the face of systematic oppression (or a person or group of jerks), but I’m not sure there are many of them.

This is definitely one of the “agree to disagree” points for me.

11. Jeff says:

I agree that Obama’s associated with Rev. Wright helps reveal the real Obama, but the time to do that was four years ago. I don’t think this will effect any voters this time. The Republican strategy needs to be attacking Obama’s failed presidency, his incompetence, and a vision that is out of step with our country and Consitution.

12. Kartman says:

You are correct. Obama’s past was not exposed in 2008 nor is the media vetting him now. The worst president in history and held to the lowest standard.

Maybe we will hear from my old friend the very tolerant Willie Lynch.

13. George says:

He certainly should not get a pass because of his ancestry. I wish these chickens would have forged ahead and I appreciate CBC for bringing it up.
    I have heard it said that Obama is a wonderful father. Not in my book he isn’t. If he subjected his daughters to this kind of hateful drivel as part of their upbringing, it’s a disgrace.
    Let’s hope his daughters can learn to ignore the Not-so-rev Wright and throw this off as well as the bile that probably comes from their parents mouths.

BTW, I read you every day CBC and appreciate your articles.
    Keep up the good work.

14. Michael Foley says:

Call me a racist… and yeah, I’m a 57 year old white guy… so, maybe this had to be written by a black person to be considered credible, but it is right on the money… The POTUS shouldn’t get a free pass because of his ancestry… God knows, as an Irish Catholic, free passes are non-existent…