Gorillas, Chimps, & Spooks: The GOP’s Favorite Things

The natives are restless again. It seems the more I try to sell what’s good about the Republican party to my liberal and black friends, fiscal responsibility, limited government and lower taxes, the harder it gets. Republicans continue to prove racism is alive, well and kicking within the established ranks of the party and it needs to be expunged from the GOP.

Once again, we have white Republicans portraying President Barack Obama, our first elected BLACK president, as a chimpanzee. Orange County Republican Committee member Marilyn Davenport thought it would be funny to create a portrait of a chimpanzee family with a Mom and Dad holding a baby chimp in overalls with the face of President Obama and the caption, “Now you know why — No birth certificate!” Davenport then emailed it to some of her closet friends and other committee members.

When her grotesque, disrespectful, racist caricature of the President of the United States was revealed to a reporter, she called the person’s action “cowardly” (ain’t that the pot calling the kettle black) and defended her actions:

“I’m sorry if my email offended anyone, I simply found it amusing regarding the character of Obama and all the questions surrounding his origin of birth. “In no way did I even consider the fact he’s half black when I sent out the email. In fact, the thought never entered my mind until one or two other people tried to make this about race. We all know a double standard applies regarding this president. I received plenty of emails about George Bush that I didn’t particularly like, yet there was no ‘cry’ in the media about them.”

Her excuse for being caught in “emailing while racist” ranks up there with “the dog ate my homework” and “some of my closest friends are black.” This reminds me of the summer of 2009 when Newscoma.com reported on its blog that Sherri Goforth, legislative aid to Tennessee State Senator Diane Black (R-Gallatin), emailed “Historical Keepsake Photo” to “the wrong list of people.”

Every white president in the image was depicted with a portrait or photo of himself until you get to our 44th and first black president Barack Obama. His picture is a caricature of the grossest, most racist sort: a black background with white eyes piercing through. This image is reminiscent of a spook, a racist term used for blacks to suggest because of their dark skin they can blend into the night and look like a ghost. The image also looks like a coon, another abhorrent caricature portraying blacks as lazy, inarticulate buffoons.

I dubbed this the long hot GOP racist summer of 2009 because South Carolinian Republican activist Rusty DePass compared Michelle Obama to a gorilla, who escaped from Columbia, South Carolina Zoo. Then I wrote: “Either image is offensive and racist and particularly repugnant when applied to the President of the United States. It reminds us this country and more importantly the Republican party has a long way to go on race relations and living in reality.”

Ms. Goforth didn’t resign and only was reprimanded by her boss. Of course Ms. Davenport is showing the same racist resilience and refusing to resign or admit she did anything wrong.

Since blacks were brought to America as slaves in the 1600s, we have been compared to monkey’s, chimpanzees, gorillas, apes, ridiculed as coons, sambos, mammies and Toms, anything short of equals to whites. The fact that Aunt Jemima syrup is still sold in the US is repugnant in itself. And that not too long ago, the image of the overweight black mammy with a bandana wrapped around her head like Mammy in Gone with the Wind still adorned the bottle of syrup is even more abhorrent and repulsive.

Apparently, Orange County GOP Committee Chairman Scott Baugh has called for Davenport’s resignation but he needs to do more than that. If she refuses to resign, Baugh should kick her off. As a conservative BLACK woman, I’m sick of talking out of both sides of my mouth, condemning the racism erstwhile calling myself a Republican and encouraging people of color to step into a GOP tent in which they don’t seem to be welcome.

Newsflash GOP: White bigots don’t own the Republican party and We Blacks have just as much right as whites to believe in the Grand Old Party as the rest of you. GOP and Tea Party Newsflash #2: You both need to get over this birther and racist talk. It should not be tolerated by party leaders like Speaker John Boehner. Obama is a US citizen and yes a Black man. If you have a problem with either, get over it. This kind of bigoted talk direct or inferred isn’t going to win you elections in the 21st century. It may have worked before 1964 but not today. Criticize Obama on his performance not the color of his skin.

While some Americans may not agree with Obama’s policies, I think it shameful he and the First Lady continue to endure this utter disrespect of the office of the President by the people of the United States. I think some Americans need to go back and read the Constitution and remember “all men are equated equal,” yes that includes the Black president of the United States.

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Gorillas, Chimps, & Spooks: The GOP’s Favorite Things”

1. kristian says:

Brilliant

2. usman bey says:

boldaq , nonsense. Michelle Madman said black chillden were better off during slavery than they are now. Maybe you are deaf, but I am not. Stop trying to lie or explain away her insane comments.

3. boldaq says:

The point Michele Bachmann was making about that statement was that there were more black children with two parents during the awful times of slavery than there are now – a horrible reflection on our present state of affairs! She never said that they were “better off”.

4. hardrockminer says:

Saw you being interviewed tonight for the first time. You rock!!! Love your blog,never knew about it till today. Obama is the worst thing to happen to our country since 9/11. His arrogant demeanor and sound bite speaking style make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I didn’t vote for Obama the first or second time, but 4 years ago I was proud that we had elected a black man to the presidency. After about a week of listening to him and researching his comrades. I knew folks had been duped. Don’t know what the excuse is this time!

5. One of the most powerful ideas that the left has imprinted Americans with through what poses as our “education” system is that any type of “discrimination” is unacceptable. I don’t use the word “evil” because that concept is itself no longer something with which people are comfortable. “Evil” implies some sort of definite i.e. definable “good”, in a religious sense. Putting that discussion aside for now any “group” is presumed by those inculcated by our education system to have defensible “rights”. Lost is the idea that rights belong only to INDIVIDUALS and that the fact of an individual being a member of certain groups does NOT lessen these rights. Indeed, now it is membership in one or another group that gives some individuals special legal defenses of those rights. Courts and legislators actually speak of whether this or that group should be granted this type of special status. Stop and think, please. This is almost an exact reversal of how liberties and the rights of MAN ( being a generic word for the INDIVIDUAL, not a MEMBER Of a gender group ). We actually think it normal that a court should discuss whether “Sexual Orientation” or “Trans-gender Identification” should join other groups accorded “Protected” or “special” status. Nobody except our dead founders vomits when they hear this.

6. Chris Hill says:

Just reading this article, found your blog so interesting and powerful. I’m a white, independent who leans right on some issues, left on others. Makes it hard to really commit to a candidate. Sounds like you’re in the same boat. Stay true to yourself – I applaud your courage. Not all white conservatives are as ignorant as some of your examples – then again, sounds like you know very well how untrue stereotypes can be. I’ve seen more and more blacks breaking rank during this election. It’s thought provoking and inspiring. Congratulations on being who you want to be.

7. Andy Bedio says:

Update: Yesterday i went on the Mormon website and was chatting with some of the missionaries there, it was listed as, “Chat with Us Mormon.org”. They confirmed my previous statements as true, where they directed me to a link to the same versus that i inquired about in 2 Nephi 5:21-24 they are still being taught to this day. Also there is a phone number they give out so you can talk to them directly and ask questions. 1-888-537-6600 It’s that simple to uncover the truth. Now about my motives, I do not have a political dog in this fight. The Morman Doctrine turns God into a racist. Any self respecting Christian, or has any biblical knowledge knows that God did not turn any race black as a curse. Food for thought, if the Mormans didn’t have the black race to put down, what other races would they pursue?

8. Andy Bedio says:

tBefore anyone votes for Romney, they should at least educate themselves, so that they will have no excuse for voteing for a raceist. I’m going to quote, from the 2003 printing of the book of Mormon. That was only eight years ago. According to Peggy Fletcher Stack at the Salt Lake City Tribune, when last checked in 2010, this texts has not changed. 2nd Nephi, chapter5, verses 21-24, page 66; ” And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be inticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them. And thus saith the Lord God: I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities. And cursed shall be the seed of him that mixeth with their seed; for they shall be cursed even with the same cursing. And the Lord spake it, and it was done. And because of their cursing which was upon them they did become an idle people, full of mischief and subtlety, and did seek in the wilderness for beasts of prey. ” This is what Romney and The Morman Church, which they boast 14 million strong, truely believe. To this date, they also boast the printing of 150 million copies of this book that have been the same since 1830, that’s 180 years. That was during the time of slavery. There were many different printings so they had many different opportunities to change it. They can’t, this is the book that the foundation of their church is built on. So as long as there are Mormon’s there will be raceism. If you don’t read and check this out yourself, then you may be unwittingly helping to foster raceism.

9. Wayne says:

There are people in both parties who behave trashy. Regardless of color, they are identified by their behavior. Anyone using the race card is displaying this behavior regardless if it’s use as an attack or defense. Yes, Cain used it for political purposes. Davenport used it to boast her ego. It’s all trashy behavior
    with two different terms to describe it and that is the rub.

10. In all fairness, acts of racism is not limited to name-calling. Also, racism does go both ways. In fact, when it comes to interracial group assaults/rapes/murders, 7% of the US. population (black males under age 30), is responsible for over 90%. Yet, straight white males are the only group/race in the US. that is NOT protected by hate crime laws.

But of course, it not politically correct to even state these simple facts. Therefore, by merely exposing the inconvenient side of racism, I’m now a racist according to your average liberal.

11. Mark says:

@JonP

Yes, Liberals did make Bush look like a monkey. Liberals also made made similiar caroons about black Republicans. But the difference here is that Bush’s entire family were not called chimps or monkeys, his daughters were left alone.

But Obama and his entire family are being called monkeys and apes — thats the difference.This leads some to think that there is a racial factor, and I depsite being a Conservatie agree with the, Yes Liberals play the race card but we can not ignore blatant racism just becaue were Conservatives.

Blacks have been called monkeys for racial reasons by whites for many years, its this historical distinction that makes the difference.

Below are four categories that exist when it comes to the views people hold on race, it may help you explain my views:

1. A true race baiter

12. JonP says:

I seem to remember Pres. Bush being characterized as a chimp several times. I think that your being a little thin-skinned here. Whats good for one is good for all.

13. Kathy says:

This is yet another wonderfully written article. We need to focus on saving our nation not silly things like this. Republicans need to focus on the economy and jobs — not birth certificates and racist paranoid conspiracy theories. I am a Republican but I have no time for stupidly, our nation is on its way to being a third world nation…we must rescue it before Liberals (and some Republicans) take it off a cliff.

14. Greybeard says:

Goose. Gander.
    I think Conservatives got mighty tired of GWB being portrayed as Hitler or a Chimp for eight years.
    Now the shoe is on the other foot.
    And remember, the guy in office is as white as he is black.
    We need to get over all this and get on with saving the Republic…
    Because it is dying, economically, before our eyes.

15. Mark says:

This woman shouldve been fired along time ago. How did she even get on the board with the mindset? How many others share similar racist views? Perhaps even more shocking is her confusion over the outrage. She genuinely doesn

16. I agree that she should resign. I also agree that regardless of who is in the office, it deserves respect. I 100% agree on the birther issue as well.

I think that where I may disagree with you slightly is the fact this isn’t part and parcel of the the republican party. Look at how Allen West and other black conservatives are characterized. Herman Cain was called a black garbage pail kid a few months ago, by another black man no less.

I am in no way saying that it makes it ok, but these images really have much less to do with political party than your essay is saying. Racism still exists in this country, and both parties have them. Racism has not political persuasion. Dems just tend to get more of a pass. If a republican had said Obama was smart, articulate, clean black man like Biden did it would have been a much bigger story.

You cannot say the democrats are much better on the issue of race, it just isn’t made into the media circus when the dems do it. It is also possible that she isn’t overtly racist, but completely insensitive to the imagery. I am saying that is an excuse, but white people don’t always see things in the same way. Again, not an excuse, just a possible explanation.

A short story, many years ago I worked on a monthly magazine and one of the advertisers used an image of a cartoon monkey using the word Yo for an ad about call centers. Her point was that she could get qualified people for call center hiring needs. I honestly didn’t see anything racist about it, but the people in our office who were black did. Someone complained about the racial nature of the ad and she refused to change it. It turned into a big thing where she ended up being given money to stop running the ad because it was a HR magazine and they were unwilling to have the bad press. But she didn’t feel that it was racist in any way, nor did I. You, as black woman, may disagree.

17. Paul says:

Michelle Obama is a beautiful woman. I do not like her husband’s politics. That being said, some real gorillas in real zoos might do a better job helping to lead out nation than some of the politicians in Washington,D.C..

18. Mark says:

Both parties have a long history of racism; liberals are not innocent when it comes to being racist.

The Progressive Era’s shameful record on race.

If indeed, “Davenport is more a reflection of the current political environment than an exception to it” a question that should be asked is “how do you change that environment?” Do you change it simply be calling all Republicans racist, or pushing the leftist narrative that all Republicans are racist? Liberals are just as guilty for creating the toxic environment on race.

By labeling all conservative polices as racial assaults they have lost the hearts and minds of many Americans. Many of these Americans are honest people who are opposed to racist. However, they take exception when they are accused of it simply because of there party affiliation. There are millions of Republicans and not everyone is a racist.

Davenport and others feel comfortable saying things like this because they

19. Teenage Black Liberal says:

This isn’t the first nor will it be the last time blacks as a group are mocked and caricatured by entitled white Republicans seeking to land a donkey punch on the President. The only thing surprising here is the way in which the provocateurs were caught, not to mention the all too comedic but ultimately despondent quality way with which they parsed reluctant apologies to the press after the fact.

Sadly, what Republicans often deny as a racial undertone to their party is just that: an invidious and insidious stench, more like, that pervades and percolates through the baby-faced veneer put up by people like moderate Mitt Romney. Propping up all the pomp and polish that characterize even mavericks like Michelle Bachmann is an angry mob antagonistic of blacks and unafraid to show it.

In this regard, Davenport is more a reflection of the current political environment than an exception to it.

20. Mark says:

Great article!! You go girl!!

21. [quote]The natives are restless again. It seems the more I try to sell what

22. AM REMINDED OF WHAT MY HIGHSCHOOL TEACHERS WOULD TELL US TO DO IN THESE SITUATIONS; “CONSIDER THE SOURCE”.